Select Page

If you`re planning on building an extension or making alterations to your property, you may need to obtain planning permission from your local council. However, before you can even apply for planning permission, you may need to obtain a party wall agreement.

A party wall agreement is a legal document that is designed to prevent disputes between neighbours when one neighbour is planning on carrying out work on a shared wall, boundary or structure. It outlines the rights and obligations of both parties and provides a framework for resolving any disputes that may arise.

Before you can apply for planning permission, you will need to obtain a party wall agreement if any of the following apply:

1. You are building on or next to a shared wall or boundary

2. You are excavating within 3-6 meters of your neighbour`s property

3. You are building on or near a party wall that sits on the boundary line

In these instances, you will need to serve your neighbour with a party wall notice. This notice should outline the details of your proposed works and provide your neighbour with information on the party wall agreement process.

Once your neighbour has received the notice, they will have the option to either consent to your proposed works or appoint their own party wall surveyor. If they appoint their own surveyor, they will be responsible for covering the cost of their surveyor`s fees.

It`s important to note that obtaining a party wall agreement can take several weeks, so it`s important to factor this into your planning schedule. If you fail to obtain a party wall agreement, your local council may reject your planning application.

In conclusion, if you`re planning on carrying out works to your property, it`s important to check whether you need a party wall agreement before you apply for planning permission. Failure to obtain an agreement could result in delays to your project and may even result in legal action being taken against you. So, it`s always best to be prepared and ensure that you have all the necessary documentation in place before you start your building works.

Pin It on Pinterest